Allow me a metaphor: You’re in a hip, noisy restaurant full of people talking, ordering, laughing, shouting to be heard, and generally having a great time. Mixed up in all of these conversations is the constant clatter of silverware on plates and glasses, and chairs moving across a slick floor; from the kitchen, you can also hear the chef berating the entire cook line and the wait staff. At your table is a group of like-minded people having a really interesting conversation about a topic that you all care about. You want to join in, but you’re not sure how to do that since you can hardly hear what’s being said. Wouldn’t it be great if you could organize the sound in the room so that you could hear your own thoughts, hear the conversation at your table, join in, and also enjoy the ambiance of the restaurant?
Well, if paper-writing is the noisy restaurant, EndNote is your way of organizing the clatter of articles, citations and style rules that are inherent of scholarly writing. With EndNote, you can focus on the most important aspects of joining the on-going academic conversation: YOUR IDEAS and CONTRIBUTIONS!
How EndNote & EndNote Online help your paper-writing process
Among many other helpful features, EndNote software will allow you to:
- import citations, as you find them, from research databases and search engines
- store citations in groups by topic, class, assignments, or area of study
- insert in-text citations and bibliography in Microsoft Word, with the Cite While You Write Tool, in the bibliographic style of your choice. In the words of a first-year dentistry student during a recent demonstration of EndNote: “OK. That’s the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. Ever.”
- find and attach full-text PDFs to their corresponding EndNote records, keeping everything in one secure place
- sync citations between EndNote Online (the cloud version) and EndNote (the software version)
- search and annotate PDFs
- upload folders of PDFs already collected on your desktop
- working on a group project? Share your citations with your group.
Why two EndNotes? EndNote lives on your machine, while EndNote Online is a web-based version that lives in the cloud. You can easily sync the two programs. If you choose to use EndNote Online with EndNote, you get the best of both products. You’ll have the ability to:
- Access your library of references from any computer with Internet access
- Share groups of references with others. You can give other EndNote Web users the rights to view and/or add to specific groups in your EndNote Web library. If you’re working on group projects, using EndNote with EndNote Online is a must [Student's should expects to work on a lot of group projects in the near future. See why in this announcement: UAB's Next Chapter in the QEP, is Learning in a Team Environment.]
It’s not hard to learn, you just have to start using it
First things first: Download EndNote to your machine, and set up your EndNote Online account. UAB students and employees* can download EndNote software for free with a Blazer ID & password. You will need to learn a few things, and you will have questions along the way. Once you see how it fits into your research & writing process, you’ll wonder how you ever managed without it.
We have about a dozen ways to help you learn EndNote, and Reference Librarians are always available for questions with ASK A LIBRARIAN chat and email:
- EndNote LibGuide
- EndNote Online LibGuide
- Videos and Recorded Classes, including EndNote for Windows or Mac
- Learn how to search LHL Holdings for full-text within EndNote
- Request a One-on-One Consultation with a Librarian
Go on, get started with your next assignment!!
A word of encouragement to Undergrads: Join the conversation. It doesn’t matter if you’re a freshman fresh out of highschool, a Master’s student, a PhD candidate, a professor, or a practicing physician, scholarly writing is difficult. The task puts pressure on your time, your brain, and your reputation. So why do we do it?? Because it’s progression in research is important–it’s how the world gets better. Beginning writers often make the mistake of assuming that paper writing will get easier, and that just isn’t so. Those same pressures exist with each and every assignment and professional obligation to publish. There is, however, good news: the more papers you write, the more experience you have in dealing with the long process of mapping out your ideas, gathering information, constructing a hypothesis or thesis, and disciplining yourself to keep to a writing schedule until the paper is submitted.
Using EndNote & EndNote Online can help you keep track of all your research findings in one place. So, say goodbye to the days of creating folders on your desk top, keeping up with stacks of printed out articles, and trying to find the right PDF in your inbox when they’re all titled “Article for Paper.” Because if you’re going to be writing big-time scholarship at UAB, you need a reference manager that can handle the type of work you’re producing.
*UAB Health System employees are not included; you may want to try Zotero. **EndNote Online is in the process of changing their name. As of this post, the online version of EndNote still reads EndNote basic.