If you know who your Lister Hill Library Liaison is then you already know that:
- Library liaisons keep you informed: We send out notifications informing faculty and staff about relevant database trials, services and invitations to events.
- Library liaisons pay attention: Part of our mission is to understand what faculty and staff need to support teaching, research and clinical care.
- Library liaisons help make the library visible: Many of us keep office hours outside the library, in common areas within departments to be available to faulty, and at the Learning Resource Center at the School of Health Professions for students.
- Library liaisons are your biggest fan: We support you in your endeavors, whether it be an assignment for class or a research grant, and cheer you on every step of the way.
Now, while I’d love to make this post all about us, and go on and on about how smart and innovative we are, I’d be remiss if I didn’t get to the heart of what it means to be a Lister Hill Library Liaison.
Quite honestly, we wouldn’t be this wonderful if it weren’t for the work you do.
Here’s what the liaisons have to say about working with their schools:
School of Health Professions
Susie Smith: email@example.com
Specifically, I think I’m most impressed with:
- U.S. News & World Report ranks several SHP programs in the nation’s top 25
- The school is at the top of the list in research funding from the National Institutes of Health for schools of its type and has been either first or second in funding received since 1969.
I get to see examples of these high-quality SHP programs on a day-to-day basis and consider myself extremely lucky to be the liaison to SHP.
See also: The School of Health Professions Guide & The School of Health Professions Blog
Liaison to the Graduate Biomedical Sciences & Joint Health Sciences Departments &
Interim Liaison to the School of Dentistry
Lee Vucovich: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the School of Dentistry: The School of Dentistry is nationally known for it’s contributions to practice-based research. I love to see this important work translated into the engaged, happy, and dedicated dentistry students who I see almost every day, in their scrubs, studying and researching at Lister Hill.
See also: The School of Dentistry Guides
On the Joint Health Sciences: ….I could go on forever!
Faculty and scientists in the Graduate Biomedical Sciences and the Joint Health Science Departments explore, develop and share knowledge that truly does change our world.
- According to the 2012 survey of The Best Places to Work for Postdocs conducted by The Scientist, UAB was 1st among all public universities nationwide and 16th among all universities surveyed.
- Faculty are ranked 10th nationally for scholarly productivity (scientific publications, grants, awards) in overall biomedical sciences, Chronicles of Higher Education
- The 28 UAB Research Centers involve communities of faculty scientists, graduate and postdoctoral trainees and staff with common research interests, who collaborate in scientific research projects, participate in common seminars, journal clubs, retreats or symposia, and share common resources and core facilities.
- UAB ranks No. 20 in funding from the NIH and No. 30 in total federal research funding among academic institutions.
Additionally, approximately 400 graduate students in the Graduate Biomedical Sciences community participate in eight interdisciplinary themes that integrate more than 33 departments, 20 university research centers and affiliated drug-discovery and biotechnology institutes.
See also: The Joint Health Sciences Guides & The Joint Health Sciences blog
Expert Search Consultant,
working with School of Dentistry
Carolyn Holmes: email@example.com
They are the most energetic group of people I’ve ever seen. It’s amazing to work with them.
School of Medicine
Pat Higginbottom: firstname.lastname@example.org
Two of the most fun things related to my students are Match Day & the Best in Medicine Show. I love to see them succeed when they’ve worked so hard for so many years, and I love to see them cut loose and have fun.
See also: The School of Medicine Guide
School of Nursing
Jill Deaver: email@example.com
The School of Nursing does so many amazing things, but one thing that constantly impresses me is the level of support the faculty give their students. The faculty set high expectations for their students and they make the students work hard, but they are right there with them, helping to pull the weight.
I really hit the liaison jackpot with UAB’s School of Nursing. At every level, from the faculty down to the undergraduate students, this group is not shy about their love of librarians!
School of Optometry
Nicole Mitchell: firstname.lastname@example.org
A new tradition was started this month by the 4th year OD students who wear sport coats to clinic on Fridays. The Dean rewards them with a UAB Blazer lapel pin to proclaim “Blazer Friday” at the School of Optometry.
I also really enjoy the Halloween costume contest—faculty, staff, and students all participate and it has become an annual tradition.
See also: The Optometry News and Notes Blog
School of Public Health
Kay Smith: email@example.com
That the SoPH dean, Max Michael, is running for a county commission seat in order to address the Cooper Green fiasco!
AND Michael Fitts: firstname.lastname@example.org
I feel blessed to have an opportunity to not only teach but to learn from the students, faculty and staff of the School of Health Professions. I also love the fact that we constantly get the opportunity to meet new people and get to share with them everything the library has to offer. We meet their needs by connecting and partnering, adding value to both SoPH and Lister Hill.
Now that you know who your liaison is, what are you waiting for? Get in touch!
You might be surprised how we can help.